A basic entry level wardrobe would probably consist of the following:
- Dress shirts minimum six
- Other shirts (short sleeve, t-shirts, etc.) minimum four
- For office wear two shoes, one black and one brown, both with laces. You will also need walking shoes, sandals, etc.
- Two belts, one black and one brown, leather or synthetic leather.
- For ties. Solid colors/stripes/polka dots/geometric patterns/paisley. Never wear novelty ties to the office.
- Office Trousers, minimum six. Black, blue, brown, charcoal, hunter green, etc.
- Jeans/Chinos for informal wear, minimum three.
- Six underwear and six vests. I recommend wearing vests under the shirt. It keeps the shirt fresh longer and also extends the life of the shirt.
- Socks minimum six, colors matching with trousers.
- Black and brown shoe cream and polish, two shoe brushes, etc., for cleaning shoes.
- Two suits; Navy and charcoal. Wear brown shoes with navy suit and either color with charcoal (black is preferred).
- A black or brown sunglass/shade.
- An iron and ironing board. Must know how to iron and wash your own clothes. Laundry cleaning is an option but re-iron before wearing.
- A simple watch and mobile phone of choice.
- Deodorants of choice
- You will also need other things like Payjama/Punjabi, things you wear when sleeping, exercising, etc.
That’s it. The above is a complete basic wardrobe.
Once you have a basic wardrobe, you will gradually start building and improving your wardrobe and before you know it, you will own a wardrobe that you will be proud of. If you follow my guide, you will not make mistakes as I did and wasted a lot of money (but learned the hard way).
To grow your wardrobe, follow the guidelines provided in this blog.