An instant upgrade of your ensemble is to add a pocket square (ps). However, there are some rules in using pocket squares:
- It must not be identical t your tie. Sometimes, ties (mostly cheap ties) are packaged with an identical pocket square—never use that pocket square with that identical tie.
- Instead of matching the pocket square with the tie, match with the shirt or a color from your suit or a color from the tie.
- Coordinate the colors and not match.
- If possible, try to use a different texture, such as, linen or cotton pocket square with silk tie, silk pocket square with linen or cotton tie.
- Everybody should have a white linen pocket square. You can use the white linen pocket square with almost any combination.
- High quality pocket squares have hand rolled edges and one could easily see the beautiful rolled edges peeking from the jacket’s pocket. Observe the hand-rolled edges in the example below.
- How to fold pocket squares? I use only two or three folds. The Internet has many examples. See this https://kingofdhaka.com/?s=pocket+square+folds#
Here are some examples of how t use pocket squares: